Monday, February 4, 2013

Ray Charles Plaza in Albany, Georgia


This last weekend, my wife and I went to Albany, Georgia for a family reunion celebrating my Grandmother’s 98th Birthday.

Albany is a small town, pretty much seems like Anytown, USA located out in the middle of nowhere.

Not a lot to see there, but there is the Ray Charles Plaza which features a very cool statue of the legendary musician. As my Grandmother told me when I was a kid, Charles was born in Albany on September 23, 1930, and although his family moved from there to Greenville, Florida when he was still a baby, it’s one of the town’s claims to fame.

On our way out of town on Sunday we stopped by the Plaza, located on the banks of the Flint River in downtown Albany, to check it out. Ray Charles' music, mostly live recordings it sounded like, coming from a bunch of small speakers placed around the statue greets you when you enter the small park.

There are giant piano keys and treble clefts carved in the concrete, and the statue itself, a life-sized recreation of the “Genius of Soul” singing while playing his baby grand piano captures the iconic image of the man quite nicely.

Here's a few shots to show you what I mean:



And here's one of the piano key walkways:


All in all, a pretty cool tourist attraction.

More later...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is indeed a cool tourist attraction. The life of Ray Charles is one of those stories worth knowing ‘cause it’s truly inspirational. He was blind even when he was a kid, but this did not stop him from pursuing his passion and succeeding. He died at the age of 73, and I believe that the music that he made will stay in the hearts of his fans. I hope the future generations will still remember this guy and his music. I know they’ll love it.

    Daphne Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! 업소알바

    ReplyDelete